Did you know March 6th is National Oreo Day? It’s like there’s a day for everything, there’s National Pasta Day, National Donut Day, and National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. I wonder is there a national eat healthy day? or national kale day? Who thinks of these things?!
Oreo’s are one of my favorite cookies and did you know they are vegan?! Crazy right! The ingredient list is honestly kind of scary, so I took the chocolate shortbread from my Copy Cat Thin Mints, whipped up a white chocolate filling and came up with a ‘healthier’ version for you.
See below recipe for dairy free option.
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 1.5 c almond flour
- 1/2 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c + 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
White Chocolate Filling
- 4.5 ounces white chocolate chips or chopped
- 1/2 c + 1 tsp coconut cream
- 15 g unsalted butter or coconut oil just shy of 1 tbsp
- 1/8-1/4 c powdered sugar if desired, makes the filling a little fluffier and sweeter
- In a small saucepan melt white chocolate, coconut cream and butter, whisking to combine. Pour into a large shallow dish and place in fridge/freezer to cool for 30 minutes to 4 hours.
- Once cool, add to bowl of stand mixer, sift powdered sugar into filling and whip until fluffy. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine almond flour, coconut sugar, cacao, tapioca starch, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together to combine and break up any lumps. Melt the coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl. Add to dry ingredients with 1 tbsp almond milk. Stir to combine adding a little more almond milk if needed. Dough should be the consistency of wet sand and just barely hold together.
- Place a large sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Turn dough out onto it. Cover dough with a second piece of parchment and roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut out circles with a biscuit cutter or use cookie cutter of choice. Transfer to parchment lined cookie sheet. Continue rolling and cutting until all dough has been used up.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, until tops are dry. Remove from oven, let cool on sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Once cookies have cooled and filling has been whipped assemble sandwiches. Add 1 tsp filling to center of 1 cookie, top with other cookie and press gently to seal. Best served immediately but will keep in fridge for several days.
You may end up with less or more cookies depending on the size/shape of the cookie cutter used. I used a 1.5″ circle biscuit cutter. To make these dairy free you could use a vanilla frosting, Simple Mills makes a great one or you can use any homemade vegan vanilla frosting. Do you celebrate any of these National food Holidays?
*A serving is one cookie and trust me its more than enough! Share with your friends or family, they’ll love you forever. PS. I have extra, please come take them off my hands 🙂